Dietician's Choice - Chicken & Vegetable Soup
Total time: 30-35 minutes
- 1 tablespoon Olive oil
- 2 Celery stalks with leaves, sliced
- 2 Carrots, medium, peeled, sliced
- ½ Onion, medium, diced
- 1 cup Mushrooms, sliced, cremini or white are great options
- 2-3 cloves Garlic, minced or crushed and chopped
- ½ cup Corn, canned or frozen
- ½ cup Peas, fresh or frozen
- ½ cup Green beans, cut, fresh or frozen
- 3 cups Cooked chicken, shredded or diced into cubes
- 1 litre Low sodium chicken broth
- 3 cups Water
- 1 teaspoon Thyme, dried and ground. Poultry seasoning can also be used in place of thyme. If you’re using fresh time, use two sprigs.
- (Optional: Fresh or dried parsley can be added as well)
- Salt & pepper to taste
Note: My trick is using about 2 cups of mixed frozen vegetables for the corn, peas, beans, carrots, edamame, etc. If you’re using frozen or canned veggies, cook your fresh ones first and then add the frozen ones in step 4.
- In a large pot, heat oil over medium heat. If you don’t have a large pot, that’s ok! Divide the ingredient amounts in half to get a smaller amount of soup that will fit in your pot.
- Add the onion, carrots, and celery to the oil and cook until starting to soften. Make sure to give everything a stir to keep from sticking or over-cooking.
- Add mushrooms and cooked for another 2-3 minutes. Add the minced garlic, cook for about 1 minute.
- If you’re using canned vegetables or beans, give them a rinse with fresh water and drain before using. Add your remaining vegetables and cooked chicken, sprinkle on your thyme or poultry seasoning, and give everything a gentle stir. This is where you can add a couple shakes of pepper and a (small) pinch of salt to start. When seasoning food, start small – you can always add more!
- Pour in stock and water.
- Bring to a simmer or light boil, then let everything simmer for about 15 minutes or so.
- Use salt and pepper to taste. Enjoy your homemade soup with crackers, fresh bread, or all on its own!